DECEMBER 2017 Commencement
Dale F. Halton Arena located in the
James H. Barnhardt Student Activity Center
For your safety, bag checks will be conducted at entry points. Prohibited items include but are not limited to: weapons, alcoholic beverages, glass containers, noisemakers, laser pointers, non-service animals, skateboards, and roller shoes.
|SATURDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2017 AT 10:00 A.M.|
|Undergraduate and Graduate Students for:|
|College of Arts + Architecture|
|Belk College of Business|
|College of Computing and Informatics|
|The William States Lee College of Engineering|
|College of Health and Human Services|
|(Candidates report to Main Concourse at 9:00 a.m.)|
|SATURDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2017 at 3:00 P.M.|
|Undergraduate and Graduate Students for:|
|Cato College of Education|
|College of Liberal Arts & Sciences|
|(Candidates report to Main Concourse at 2:00 p.m.)|
University policy states that students participate in the Commencement Ceremony for the term in which they complete their degree requirements. Students completing their degrees in the summer terms participate in the December Commencement Ceremonies.
Tickets are required for the Commencement Ceremonies. Candidates for graduation will receive ticket information at the Commencement Fair, which will take place October 2017 at the Popp Martin Student Union Barnes & Noble Bookstore. Commencement tickets will be distributed to students who will be completing their degree requirements during the summer or fall 2017 terms.
Diplomas will not be distributed at the Commencement ceremony. They will be mailed to graduates in January 2018 to the diploma address provided on the application for degree. Use 49er Express to change the address to which the diploma should be mailed. Doctoral candidates will receive their hood and diploma during the Commencement Ceremony.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE DAY OF COMMENCEMENT
- Bring Your Student I.D. Card - undergraduate and masters candidates should bring their student I.D. card to check in. (Doctoral candidates will not need to bring their I.D. card or pick up a name card.)
- Candidates report to the Main Concourse of the James H. Barnhardt Student Activity Center. Enter at the South entrance (faces Cone Deck parking). Undergraduate candidates will wear caps and gowns; masters’ candidates are to wear their hoods. Low heels or flat shoes should be worn, as the march to and from your seat and the stage will include many steps and high heels may present some difficulties. Students with disabilities should contact DISABILITY SERVICES 704‑687‑0040 (TTY/V) prior to Commencement to arrange accommodations.
- Each graduating student will receive an email a few days prior to Commencement indicating their row assignment and also including ceremony information. Signs will be posted in the Main Concourse area with row numbers. A representative from your department will provide you with a name card which you will hand to the faculty member on stage.
- Cap tassels are worn on your right. Masters’ candidates will wear their hoods. Doctoral candidates will be hooded on the platform. When do you remove your cap during the ceremony? Women do not remove their caps during the exercises; men take their cue from the Chancellor and do as he does.
- Carefully follow the march and seating instructions of the student marshals. During the exercises, candidates will be called by college or graduate school to march to the front of the stage. You must present your name card as you reach the microphone station where your name will be read. You then cross the platform to be congratulated by the Chancellor or the Dean of your college before returning to your seat.
Doctoral candidates will be recognized first, followed by masters’ candidates, graduate certificate candidates and then undergraduate candidates by college/school, in alphabetical order, and by department in alphabetical order.
- After all candidates have returned to their seats, the Chancellor will ask you to stand together while he formally confers all degrees. The Senior Class President will then give the turning of the cap tassel instructions.
CAP AND GOWN
The Commencement Fair will take place in the Barnes & Noble campus bookstore located in the Popp Martin Student Union. The dates will be posted in October 2017. You will receive e-ticket information, pick up your cap and gown, order class rings, announcements, diploma frames, and take formal portraits in your cap and gown. You will also learn how you can donate your gown to graduating high school students.
If you plan to participate in the ceremony and are not able to pick up your cap and gown during the Commencement Fair, contact the UNC Charlotte Bookstore during regular bookstore hours. If you belong to an honor society, you will need to contact a representative from that organization to purchase honor cords and stoles.
PHOTOGRAPHS AND VIDEO
To help ensure that the ceremony is conducted in a dignified manner, family members and others attending are asked to remain in their seats. Aisles must be kept clear, and videography and still photography will not be allowed at the railings or on the arena floor. Only graduates, faculty, authorized staff, and news media will be allowed on the floor before and during the ceremony.
A video will be produced by GradImages, showing segments of the Commencement ceremony and every graduate being congratulated. DVD copies will be available at a cost of $10.00 (plus shipping and handling). Any questions regarding this DVD should be directed to GradImages at 1-800-261-2576.
GradImages will be photographing all graduates at the Commencement ceremonies. Visit their website, www.gradimages.com, and click on Pre-Event Email Registration. You may enter your email and up to six other emails of family and friends. Photo samples will be provided to you as soon as they are available after the event. After graduation, order online at www.gradimages.com or call 800-261-2576. When entering the School/Organization name, use: UNC Charlotte
As you prepare for graduation, don't forget to update your contact information with the Alumni Association. As an alumnus of UNC Charlotte, you are eligible for the many benefits offered through the Alumni Association. To learn more or to update your contact information, please visit UNCC Alumni Association or call 704‑687‑7799.
Please contact the Office of Disability Services at 704-687-0040 if you are a graduate and need accessible seating. Accessible seating is available for guests on the entrance level of the Halton Arena. Seating is limited. It is recommended that guests arrive 90 minutes before the ceremony.
DROP OFF AREA : There will be a drop-off area in front of the James H. Barnhardt Student Activity Center building (Halton Arena). Once on campus, follow the signs and tell traffic personnel that you wish to use the Halton Arena drop-off area. Staff will be available at the drop-off area to assist individuals with limited mobility. Wheelchair assistance will also be available.
MEETING FAMILY MEMBERS OR GUESTS
If you plan to meet family members or guests before the Commencement ceremony, choose a place other than the main concourse near the food court. This is the line-up area that is reserved for students participating in commencement. Parents and other guests are not permitted in this area.
Prior to the ceremony, make arrangements with your guests to meet at a certain location following the ceremony. Remember, the area surrounding the Student Activity Center will be very crowded immediately after the ceremony.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Detailed information about Commencement is available online at https://commencement.uncc.edu.
Graduation Applicants-- Be sure to bring your student ID to check in on the day of Commencement.